First order? Save 5% - FIRST5 close
Sabra K

What qualifications do you need to work in a children’s day care center?

What qualifications do you need to work in a children’s day care center?

Top 7 Answers

Favorite Answer

An Early Childhood Education diploma, or equivalent, Standard First Aid Certificate, CPR, previous experience with children, good references.

Are you in Classes right now?

These are the Classes you will need to take but other colleges the titles are named different.

Intro to Child Development

Early Child Development

The Preschool Child

Communication in the Preschool

First Aid and CPR (A must)

Developmental Psychology

Home-Child-community Relations

Child Abuse Education

Infant Development

Health and safety for Children

Guidance and Discipline

Just to let you know that with 3 to 6 units you can be a Teachers Aid and 12 or more units You can be a qualified Teacher.

You also will need a degree.

When you are out of High School make sure you are signed up in some Child Development classes because thats what they will look for now. When Licensing goes in then they will look for that and if you don’t have the experience and the units it makes it harder to get a job in that field.

I was a Director at a school and that’s how I know what they look for.


Kyanna S
Some day care centers will hire teenagers to help in their summer program, especially because they have more school aged children there all day. In those cases, you would be an assistant, rather than a teacher.

Many centers will also hire college students who are taking classes in early childhood or early education related fields. Colleges generally require hands-on experience, so centers will work with colleges in giving the students that chance. In getting my degree in Elementary Education, I was allowed to work as a teacher at a licensed day care, fully in charge of my own group of children.

If you want to be a teacher or a director, though, you do usually have to have a degree in a related field. I imagine the requirements vary from state to state, so you may need to google your state requirements or call around.

Best of luck!



A lot of places will hire teacher’s aides with a high school diploma / GED. If you want to be a teacher in an early childhood classroom you probably need an associates degree in early childhood education or a lot of experience. If you want to be a teacher at someplace a little more prestigious, a bachelor’s degree would be a good start.

Depends where you live. Here in Canada you would likely need an ECE Diploma (Early Childhood Education) but I have heard of places where you’re just required to love kids and prove you’ve had experience working with them!

It depends: some places require a high school diploma and several years of experience.To be a Pre-k teacher assaistance you have to be over 21.To be a Pre -k teacher you need atleast 2 years of college.

EC Expert
It varies from state to state. There may be regulations about education, fingerprinting, previous CPS involvement and references. It also may depend on what kind of program you want to work for. Do a web search for the day care regulations in your state.

Give your grades a lift Order